Sunday 24 August 2008

Bolt vows he'll keep 200m mark

Sprint star Usain Bolt said his rivals have their work cut out for them if they are aiming to claim his 200 metres world record.

And the 22-year-old, who won three gold medals in world record time in Beijing in the 100m, 200m and the 4x100m relay, insisted there was more to come.

"I don't know how fast I can go. I'm not really worried about that," he said.

"I'm just looking forward to going on and doing better things. I hope to improve every year.

"I'll definitely be going to the London Olympics to defend my title."

Bolt said his win in the 200m, in which he beat American Michael Johnson's 12-year-old record of 19.32 seconds, would stick with him above the others.

"People said the 200m world record would be pretty hard to get. I got it and it's going to be hard to (improve it)," he said.

"The 100m world record will keep going over and over. The 200m will stay with me forever.

"I came out here ready and prepared. When you come to the Olympics, it's the biggest stage. I did my best, the track was great.

"I worked hard to get here. It wasn't an easy road."

The Jamaican, who will go on to compete in the 100m in Zurich, 200m in Lausanne and 100m in Brussels before the end of his season, said it had come as no surprise that world records were broken at the Bird's Nest.

"The track is fast. I said to Asafa (Powell) and my coach (Glen Mills) that anybody who wins is going to break the world record."

Revelling in the moment

Bolt also said the enjoyment factor and his laid-back demeanour were key to his stunning treble gold medal-winning performance.

"A lot of guys came to me and said they've been inspired," Bolt said.

"I said to them 'you have to be relaxed'. We know we're capable of doing it. You've got to enjoy what you do.

"Yes, I guess I've had a little bit of an impact. People have gone out there and enjoyed themselves.

"It's great for the sport," he said, adding: "I wouldn't say I'm a phenomenon, I'm just a great athlete."

Bolt, who set world records of 9.69 and 19.30 seconds to win the men's 100 and 200m, ran the third leg of the Jamaican 4x100m relay squad which won a maiden gold in the event in 37.10 seconds, breaking the United States's 15-year-old record.

"It might change my life, but I won't change," the Jamaican insisted.

"I try and stay relaxed by messing around and not thinking too much about the race.

"I don't allow people to put pressure on me. You might not be focused enough. When I enjoy myself I stay focused.

"I'll still enjoy myself, I'm still young. I'll still train hard. I'll try to keep on top for as long as I can.

"Running is enjoyable. You have to enjoy what you do.

"It's a job for us athletes, it's like working. To not enjoy it, it doesn't make sense.

"I enjoy it, I love it. Sometimes you think about quitting at training because that's hard.

"But it also makes success more great when you work hard for it."

Bolt's outgoing and refreshingly honest outlook has won over fans, pundits and other athletes alike.

His signature Jamaican "To the world" dance performed during his victory laps, ending with him leaning back and pointing two fingers up into the sky, was widely anticipated by the 91,000-crowd at the National Stadium and has even been mimicked by other winning athletes.

- AFP

No comments: