Friday 22 August 2008

Vijender Kumar wins Olympics bronze

Cuba's Emilio Correa outpointed India's Vijender Kumar 8-5 on Friday to advance to the middleweight final of the Olympic boxing competition.

Britain's James DeGale extended an impressive run by easily outpointing Irishman Darren Sutherland 10-3 on Friday to also reach the final.

"It was a walk in the park for me," DeGale said after outpointing Irishman Darren Sutherland 10-3 to set up a final bout against Correa.

"It was easy," he added. "I'm so fit, four rounds is nothing. I think it's the best I've looked."

DeGale, who had scored the biggest upset so far by ousting Kazakh Bakhtiyar Artayev, the welterweight champion from the 2004 Athens Games, in the previous round, was far too clever for Sutherland.

The Briton stepped up a gear after a cautious start and took control in the third round, displaying superior hand speed and accuracy to move 8-5 up.

Sutherland kept marching forward in the fourth round but his opponent proved an elusive target.

"I had a feeling in my bones," DeGale said. "On my day I can beat anybody in the world and now the weight's perfect, my head's perfect. It's lovely."

DeGale is now a win away from handing Britain their first boxing title since Audley Harrison took super-heavyweight gold in 2000 in Sydney.

Sutherland, who will have to be content with a bronze medal, was not complaining either.

"I'm delighted," he said. "A medal was beyond my wildest dreams. I came here to perform and stay true to my values. I like to get stuck in and fight but unfortunately he didn't want to get involved and he used the tactics that he did."

Sutherland will now turn professional.

"Definitely, this is the last amateur fight," he said. "How can I go home and get myself up for a club fight after an Olympic Games? It's time for a new chapter."

The Irishman, who looked brave but limited against DeGale, said he was looking forward to facing the Briton again, this time in the professional ranks.

"He wouldn't last," Sutherland predicted. "You might say a win is a win but I know who they're going to pay to watch and that's me."

No comments: