Friday 15 August 2008

Lawrence kayaks to silver on the whitewater

Australia's Jacqueline Lawrence produced a superb run in the women's K1 final at the Shunyi canoeing and kayaking venue on Friday to collect a silver medal at the Beijing Olympics.

Under stunning blue skies on the outskirts of Beijing, Lawrence made it down the whitewater in a time of 206.94 seconds, 14.30 seconds behind gold-medal winner Slovakian Eolena Kaliska.

Austrian Violetta Peters Oblinger claimed the bronze medal.

The result was a stunning one for Big River Canoe Club kayaker Lawrence, whose best results so far in 2008 had been modest ones, including 15th and 28th finishes in World Cup competition.

Lawrence started the final in fourth place but moved up to second after two of her rivals missed gates.

She said after the race she was totally stunned to get the silver.

"I just knew if I could get down with no major mistakes and be clean then that'd be really good," she said.

"I did have a little mistake on the way down but I pulled it back on line and I can't believe it's led to this."

"I was so excited just to have fourth at that point so to go into second is amazing," he said.

"Turned out far better than it was in my wildest dreams that his could happen."

No comments: