Thursday 14 August 2008

Kitajima snares breaststroke double, Rickard second

Australia's Brenton Rickard has taken silver behind Japan's Kosuke Kitajima in the men's 200-metres breaststroke at the Beijing Olympics.

Kitajima, who won the 100m breaststroke on Monday in world-record time, repeated the double breaststroke gold he claimed in Athens four years ago.

He won in an Olympic record 2:07.64, just outside the world record of 2:07.51 he set in Tokyo in June.

He held off a late challenge from Rickard, who was second in 2:08.88, with France's Hugues Duboscq taking the bronze in 2:08.94.

"I'm very relieved that I got the gold medal," Kitajima said.

The 25-year-old, who is the only swimmer to break 2:08 in the event, was not too disappointed to miss out on a new record.

"I was going OK until the last 50 metres, and then I ran low on energy, but it was a good swim and I am pleased with the time," he said.

Rickard became the first Australian since Glenn Beringen at Los Angeles 1984 to medal over the distance.

"Swimming in an Olympic final is what we all dream about doing," Rickard said.

"To get out there and stick to my plan, and put some of those other guys off their plans, is something I'm proud of."

Rickard and Duboscq joined a small group who have broken 2:09 in the event.

Prior to Beijing, only Kitajima and former world record-holder Brendan Hansen had done it, although Daniel Gyurta of Hungary, Mike Brown of Canada and Paolo Bossini of Italy had done it in reaching the final.

"It was a pretty special thing to do, I have joined a select group," Rickard said.

"I guess the most important thing is that I did it in the final, when it mattered most.

"To get the silver medal is just great."

No comments: